Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Wild Beasts of Moscow (aka Ляля, the wondercat)

Interestingly enough, the animals I've come into contact with here have been some of the most pampered, fully domesticated creatures I've ever met.
 Take for example, Chester- the happy, wriggly bilingual ball of fur that resides with Sasha and co. (stepfamily!).   He's a big friendly mush who would probably think the world was ending if his late-afternoon dinner did not arrive on time.

Every dog I've seen on the street (with the exception of the subway-riding "feral" dogs) is usually dressed to the nines, in more stylish and weather-appropriate clothing than anything I own.  Seriously, even the dogs are more dolled up than me.  
To be fair, the school I work at is located in a fairly posh neighborhood, but honestly- even the pigeons look obese and happy (a strange contrast with the usually delicate, waifishly-thin Moscow ladies I've seen.  I feel like the solution to this strange contrast is somewhere in the problem...)

Anyway, my new best-furry-friend is an incredibly soft, beautiful cat named Ляля (Lya-lya).  He belongs to Tamara's daughter, Katya, and like many pets I've had at some point or another he is perfectly content with his mix-gendered name.  
Here is a picture of Ляля on his special washing machine perch:
Warmest spot in the house.

Sweet kitty lovin'

Ляля's favorite place is in the warmth of the bathroom, where he usually has the occupant's full attention.  He has even perfected the "why have you FORSAKEN me??" look that comes when he realizes that he has missed showertime.  Usually he just sits on his washing machine throne, but sometimes he strolls around his "kingdom" exploring the toiletries, and he once almost jumped into the shower with me in hopes of good head-scratching.  

Unfortunately, for all of his sweetness and almost stalker-like devotion, Ляля is not exactly the brightest crayon in the box.  For example, Tamara calls him the "$3000 cat" due to the fact that he ate a plastic toy which then had to be surgically removed.  And no, not just once- three times.  

Ляля also has a kissing problem.  Literally.  He wants to kiss everything.  During showertime he will kiss the mirror, the faucet, and once tried to kiss my toothbrush.  The other day he was, well, what can only be described as "making out" with a plastic bag.  Like I said- Lyalya is just a "few fries short of a happy meal," ifyouknowwhatI'msaying- but still one of the most lovable little fellows I've met.

2 comments: