Thursday, December 2, 2010

but charLOHtah, you don't speak russian!

One of the funnier stories since I've gotten here took place just the other day when I was teaching a 5th grade class (I teach one guest class per week in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, and 8th grades).
The 3rd-5th grade classes have been told that I don't speak ANY Russian, so that they won't even be tempted to use Russian in the classroom (as a big believer in immersion studies, I'm all for this).  Every time they ask me a question or clarify something using Russian I tell them "I'm sorry, I don't understand Russian.  You're going to have to tell me in English!"- no matter how tempted I might be to take the easy way and address their concern head on.

So the other day we were going over vocabulary from a reading I brought in on "Street Art", and we came upon the word "energetic."  Without thinking it through, I said to the class "energetic- it sounds just like the russian word, энергичный, right?"  
Immediately one of the children called out with clear conviction, as if to let me down kindly: "but charLOHtah, you don't SPEAK Russian."  I caught myself and without a beat said "you're right I don't, sorry" and the lesson went on as if nothing had happened (except for my quickly stifled laughter).

It's getting harder and harder to keep up the charade though, as half of the teachers in the lower school communicate with me in Russian (two 3rd graders overheard a conversation I was having with the school secretary today, and they stopped dead in their tracks and stared wide-eyed at each other.  not sure how to smooth THAT one over...)

In other news I've recently made friends with the other American girl around my age who is teaching at the school.  We spent time together last weekend, and went to TGIF (oh yes, they have TGIF in Moscow) along with her housemate Jeffrey- also a new friend (hooray for new friends!).  Anyway, I've spent a bunch of time with the two of them and am having a lot of fun.  Also they are both from Portland and love adventures and traveling too.
Margarita and winking action.

Jen and I

Still on the hunt for an apartment, so if you know anyone living in Moscow, preferably in the southwestern region, and preferably Russian speaking, please let me know!  Although I suppose beggars can't be choosers.  Tamara and her family have been incredibly kind and welcoming, but I'd hate to have to impose on them for too much longer. 

In other news, moscow is freezing and I am truly experiencing a new kind of cold.  Oh boy I need to find some long johns (and/or a full body parka?)

3 comments:

  1. Charmander! So glad you are having such awesome, tumultuous adventures in Russia (tumultuous referring to your housing situation- erp). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waplota, I've been wearing long-johns for a MONTH. Also, you're students sound so cute! WANT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey cousin... I told you to buy silk long johns! I wore them when I lived in Moscow from September to May! It is fun to see your adventure chronicles. Enjoy the new year in Russia! paka, Lara (Thea Volkman Flint Wilson of Bellingham's daughter)

    ReplyDelete