Friday, December 17, 2010

Shhh it's a secret!!

Yesterday a little 3rd grade boy with spiked hair and glasses hopped down the stairs to find me in the administrators office at school, and triumphantly stated "I know you secret!!"

Some quick background- this boy is one of the kids who heard me speaking Russian with Dasha (the school secretary) a week ago and proceeded to stare dumbfounded at his friend, leading me to stop in my tracks and motion for Dasha to come closer so I could whisper.  It was clear he had overheard us, however.  

During class yesterday he occasionally shouted out his comments in Russian, and I would quickly remind him that I couldn't understand, then move on.  It was later that day that he cornered me in the office- all 4 feet of this 8 year old boy- and told me again "I know you secret!"  I played dumb, and said "What do you mean, you know my secret?  What secrets do I have?" and told his friend who had accompanied him to go outside before whispering to me:
 "You perfectly speaking Russian!"  

My first inclination was to deny it- which I quickly realized was silly, as he had heard me.  I then compromised and said (truthfully) "Well, I speak a little..."  
He responded "No, I hear you!  You speak perfectly!"  He was beaming from ear to ear with sneaky glee. 
I opened my mouth again to set the record straight, but then slowly changed my mind and smiled.  So what?  One 3rd grade boy out there thinks that I speak perfect Russian.  I have no opportunity to disprove him, and you know what?  I'm not going to lie, it kind of makes me feel good.  So instead I motioned for him to come closer and whispered "Ok, you know my secret...but let's keep it a secret, just between us, alright?"  He smiled a little bucktoothed smile and nodded, before skipping out of the office and into the heavily-decorated, christmas-themed hallway.  

Moral of the story: it's nice to know that someone out there is convinced of my perfect language capabilities :)

3 comments: